Saturday, June 1, 2013

Our Daily Salad Routine, Now Straight from the Garden

How wonderful is it that I can just walk out to my garden in the morning and harvest some lettuce for my salad for lunch? Pretty darn wonderful.

I was almost tempted yesterday to skip my daily salad. For over a year now, my husband and I have been taking salads nearly daily to work for lunch. I think it's made a huge difference in our health, and on our wallet.


That said, we don't skimp on the salad ingredients. The only way to not get tired of having salad for lunch everyday is to mix up the ingredients from time to time, keeping them simple enough to be able to throw salads together at the last minute, and to have good salad dressing. (I prefer Newman's Own Lite Raspberry Walnut and Newman's Own Lite Balsamic, for what it's worth.)

Before I grew my own lettuce, I'd buy pre-cut lettuce in ready-to-go packages at the grocery store. Almost always organic, and I would still wash them, but it was an easy solution. It's a little more work now that I have to harvest and cut the lettuce myself, but I still love it.

Back to yesterday. I was going to skip the salads - why not treat myself to a meal out for lunch? But then my sense got the best of me, and I went out to the garden and cut enough lettuce for lunch, and a little bit of kale and basil to throw in. (If you haven't tried throwing a few pieces of ripped up basil in a salad, try it. It's awesome.)

washing lettuce straight from the garden
Washing the lettuce, fresh from the garden.
We found these great containers that we put our salads in everyday. They are the Rubbermaid glass containers, which come in the perfect size for salads. Here is a picture of the salads I made yesterday. This shows two different sizes. Usually I use the bottom size. It's perfect for an entree-sized salad.

Rubbermaid glass storage containers
Rubbermaid glass storage containers, an easy salad solution
Ingredients I include in our salads (not all at the same time):
  • Different kinds of lettuce, kale and chard
  • Diced deli ham
  • Chicken (seasoned and cooked ahead of time and chopped)
  • Diced deli turkey
  • Black beans
  • Pinto beans
  • Garbanzo beans
  • Sliced string cheese (works really well in salad!)
  • Feta cheese
  • Cherry or grape tomatoes
  • Cucumber
  • Bell peppers (different colors)
  • Golden raisins
  • Craisins
  • Dried pineapple
  • Any kind of dried fruit, really
  • Sliced almonds
  • Walnuts
  • Strawberries
  • Blackberries
  • Blueberries

Really you can throw anything in. But those are some of my more frequently purchased salad fixings.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment