Thursday, June 13, 2013

Planting Red Potatoes, a Little Late in the Season

My other project this weekend was figuring out what to plant in a side planter I have next to my garden. My original plan was flowers - nasturtiums or some other flower that also acts as natural pest control.

But I've been wanting to try out potatoes this year, and I was considering a grow bag, like these from Gardeners' Supply.  But then it occurred to me while wandering at the nursery this weekend that I could plant potatoes in the side planter. It's plenty deep and separate from the rest of the garden.


It was a hot day today, so of course while planting I had to have a Rampant from New Belgium brewery, which is based north of us in Fort Collins.

Rampant from New Belgium, garden-side
Rampant from New Belgium, garden-side
The red potato tubers I bought were half off, given how late in the season I'm going for it (I've heard they are pretty hardy ...) and they look a little like aliens, but I'm hopeful they'll take anyway!

Red potato tubers

I watered the soil after de-weeding it, and then planted the three evenly spaced.
 
 
I added a bag of container mix on top, so that the tubers were 3-5 inches deep and watered again.


Crossing my fingers that they grow! I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment