Monday, May 13, 2013

Four Herbs in One Planter

This weekend I planted my deck herbs – I put four plants in one rail planter. I followed a similar setup to when I planted my mesclun mix a couple of weeks ago. I love the idea of being able to fill my deck with edible color.

Last year I had a hard time with herbs. My basil did well, but everything else kind of petered out by the end of the summer. Looking forward to a much more robust season this year. I chose: two basil plants, oregano and parsley. In all the reading I did online, it's best to keep herbs that are grown in similar conditions together when you plant them all in the same container. I also love the idea of having a themed container - all herbs you can use in the same or related dishes!

I especially love later in the summer when I have fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. I stack them for an easy appetizer while we're grilling. Yum!

Here's how I planted my four plants in the deck rail planter this year: 

Deck planter, with rocks at the bottom to help with drainage.


I used soil that The Flower Bin here in Longmont uses - buying local is the way to go!
Here you see, from left, Red Rubin Basil (to add some color), Plain Italian Parsley, Greek Oregano and
Genovese Basil.

And the final. I'm hoping that the four plants will fill this nicely, a nice addition to the deck
but also plenty of fresh herbs to add to my summer cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment