Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What lies beneath: Oh the joys of preparing a house for sale

This is probably a time I shouldn't open my house to visitors via my blog, but the process of preparing my home for sale has unearthed some surprises like this old Netflix DVD that I never returned. I vaguely remember paying a late fee a long while back, which I suppose means I get to keep it. And yet, I never watched it. I found it while cleaning out my desk a couple of weeks ago before putting it in storage to make our second bedroom/office look bigger.

I have time now, so perhaps I should take advantage of it
and finally watch the movie everyone else has seen: Slumdog Millionaire.

I expect to continue finding random stuff as we move toward listing the house in May. Take my cleaning of my kitchen on Sunday. I'm mostly finished with the task – and I have hardly any food left in my cupboards and refrigerator as a result. Let's just say I had food that had expired one, two - even three years ago. Mostly canned or boxed goods maintaining their place on my shelves to hide the fact I don't exactly stock up when I go grocery shopping.

One surprise: I have a lot more Crystal Light and Crystal Light wannabes than two people really need.



And then there's the canned goods that I just assumed were still good. But they weren't. Actually I can't even say for certain I knew they were there. But check out the expiration date on these guys: More than two years ago they expired, which means I probably bought them before I even moved in with my husband. Why would I even have packed them in the first place?


I certainly expect that I will continue to unearth random stuff as I go from cupboard to cupboard and drawer to drawer in the next two weeks that I should have got rid of months or even years ago

Oh the joys of getting a house ready for sale.

2 comments:

  1. I spend an inordinate amount of time grocery shopping and cleaning out my pantry...throwing out out of date things. I feel endlessly guilty about "starving children" all over the planet, but no matter how hard I try, the cycle continues. Good luck in the next house with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm sure the cycle will continue for me. I just never realize what I have sitting in there!

    ReplyDelete