Saturday, May 11, 2013

What a Difference Mulch Makes

We were lucky enough to inherit nice front-yard landscaping with our new house, which we bought a little over a year ago. The landscaping came with the extra bonus that every week or two, something new would be blooming, something we didn't know was there!

This year, as we have settled in, we've started to know the yard and what's there. Through lots of cleanup at the end of the fall and the start of spring (somehow all the leaves on the block get caught up in our bushes, etc.), I also got to know the plants I have. My father also did me a great favor by walking through all of the bushes and flowers and whatnot and informing me what they were, if he knew, and what I should do with them.

Fast-forward to today, and we did what badly needed to be done: remulch, I'm new to this having a yard thing, but it was clear to me by the sheer number of weeds popping up in areas of the landscaping that it was time to get some fresh mulch in there.

I went for red mulch, which scared me a little. But after it was finally all down, it was amazing what a difference it made. The greens popped and everything just looked cleaner and more organized.

Here's a few before and after pictures:



Before, a little messy, everything kind of running together.
Half and half ...
After, it's almost like we planned it

One of the planters in the front of our house that now has two more plants in it
and some mulch to match...

The rest of the landscaping in the front of the house.
 
Closeup of one of the main areas.

Tree by fence, no mulch before

Tree after mulch, now tied nicely into the landscaping behind it.




No comments:

Post a Comment