Friday, May 17, 2013

Venison Meatballs, Redux

I have made venison meatballs a handful of times. This last time, I was able to reduce the gamey taste and paired them with sweet potatoes, which was a great idea.

Here's the recipe I use.

To reduce the gamey taste, I let the meat defrost entirely and drained it before mixing it with the rice and onion. It's not a pleasant activity - draining blood from raw meat - but does reduce the gamey taste considerably.



Why chop onion when you can use a mini chopper?


 The venison, instant rice, onion, salt and pepper are mixed for the meatballs.



It's the sauce that makes this recipe. Super simple: condensed tomato soup and ketchup are the main ingredients, along with water.


Ground mustard is a common ingredient in venison recipes. This one called for a tablespoon along with paprika.


This is how I cook my sweet potatoes. I rinse them and wrap them in damp paper towels. For two, I cook for about 7-8 minutes and then check. When they are soft on all sides, they are done.


I topped the sweet potatoes with pecans, butter and brown sugar. The flavors were a perfect fit with the venison meatballs.


No comments:

Post a Comment