Thursday, November 21, 2013

Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema

I discovered Foodie Crush the other day; in particular this recipe on the blog – Chipotle Shrimp Burritos with Simple Avocado Crema.

One word: Awesome.

How did I come upon this recipe? I bought chipotle in adobo sauce to make tacos out of the cookbook, Salsas and Tacos, I got for my birthday in September. If you’re interested in checking that out, visit the Santa Fe Cooking School’s online store here.

I wasn’t really sure how the tacos, which involved shredded chicken with chipotle seasoning as well as a sour cream (crème fraiche is what it actually calls for) sauce blended with the abovementioned chipotles in adobo sauce. Turns out, I really liked it.

Another surprising turn of events for me – me actually liking chipotle anything.

Well, when you buy chipotles in adobo sauce, they come in a can, and unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) there are leftover peppers. And what are you supposed to do with all the extra peppers?

Find more ways to use them, that’s what!

chipotle shrimp tacos with avocado crema sauce

One of the recipes I found was the Chipotle Shrimp Burritos with Simple Avocado Crema. OK mine were tacos, because I had to also use up some of my corn tortillas, which were small. But it still worked just fine.

I bought raw shrimp, wild-caught – which was then marinated in a blend of chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, honey, olive oil and cinnamon. Cinnamon really does have so many applications in the kitchen. In fact as I write this, I’m making a lentil-tomato soup in my crockpot, which also has cinnamon in it. Who knew?

The avocado crema – literally avocados blended with sour cream, and in this case a cup of green chile enchilada sauce (yum!) – was the perfect complement to the shrimp, but we had a ton left over. As you can imagine we went through the shrimp in one sitting. I may not have purchased enough or I bought too large of shrimp (thus less per pound).

The avocado crema was good for a couple of days, so I used it as a dip for chips. It’d probably make a good dressing for a taco salad.

I recommend trying this recipe. Get it here: Chipotle Shrimp Burritos with Simple Avocado Crema.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment