Sunday, November 24, 2013

Ripening Tomatoes Indoors: It's Easy

My garden was a little delayed in harvesting thanks to a little thing called flooding in Colorado this year. It water-logged most of my plants right at prime harvest time.

So after things dried up, I cleaned up the fruits that were no good, and decided to let the remaining tomatoes in particular hang out for a bit in the garden.

When I could finally hold out no longer, I took the tomatoes - mostly my San Marzanos - off the plant, placed them in a box in the hopes that they would ripen in my kitchen. I had nothing to lose really.


I did some research online. I love Google ... and so many people had different ways to do this. I decided that I would just put them in the box, and see what happens.

And it worked. No fancy tricks required. I did lose some to rotting, but for the most part I was able to salvage a decent amount of my final bit of harvest.

Here's proof they ripened. I only took a couple pictures throughout the process but you can see there is far more red in the second photo than the first:

ripening tomatoes off the vine

ripening tomatoes off the vine

There are fewer in the bottom photo, but otherwise I did not change the configuration of the box much over time. In the end, none remained green.

It wasn't fast, but it's better than losing out on fresh tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment