Monday, July 18, 2011

The Great French Fry Challenge: Starting off with basic sweet potato fries

My husband has set upon me a challenge to learn how to make french fries of all shapes and sizes ... regular, crinkle cut, waffle fries, and so on. He's especially interested in the waffle fries, but I decided to start with regular old fries. In particular, I decided to try making sweet potato fries.


After reading a few suggestions online, I set forth and made myself some sweet potato fries. I was reasonably successful. I used Paula Deen's salt, pepper and garlic powder seasoning base and her recommended oven temp of 450 degrees.

I decided to peel the sweet potatoes first.
After cutting up the sweet potatoes, I tossed them with olive oil and a mixture of salt, pepper and garlic powder per the Paula Deen recipe, and placed them on the pan. To me, they look like a bunch of carrots.
In addition to the salt, pepper and garlic powder, I tried three different spices. On one third of the pan, I tried paprika, the next third was curry powder, and the final third was Tony Chachere's. The third ended up being the best. I did however over-salt all of them, so I'll take it easy on the next round.

I baked them for about 25 minutes.

Here's proof I made fries from scratch that looked like fries:


I did a quick search online for dipping sauces, so in addition to ketchup I whipped up a sour cream dipping sauce, courtesy Emeril..

Now that I know I can make a fry from scratch, I will move on to trying the other variations that have been requested. I've already done the research on the new kitchen tools I'll need to do the job properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment