Sunday, March 27, 2011

Shots from Doudy/Springbrook Trails in Boulder: A good & easy first ride

I got out today for the first time this season on my mountain bike ... and the trail was much nicer to me than I expected it to be. I did not stay in shape this winter, so it was a surprise when the uphill of the first half of my ride - pretty much par for the course on a Front Range trail - did not kill me. In other words, I was able to make it a fair distance before stopping for a drink of water and to catch my breath.

This trail is not difficult technically, but it is a good time if you're looking for a quick ride after work or an easy ride at the start of the biking season. The latter was me today. I tend to stay away from Doudy Draw/Springbrook trails as they are also popular with hikers, runners and even horses. I was fine with this today, as I wanted to take my time and enjoy being back on my bike again.


For those who care, I ride a Women's Trek Fuel EX8, and I got it last year as a major upgrade from my Giant Rincon, which is a hardtail (only front suspension) and entry-level mountain bike. It treated me well, but my new bike is definitely more fun.

Here are some shots from the trail:

The bridge at the start of the trail. Great views of the Flatirons during this ride.
Entering Springbrook Trails

on the way up ...
The trail on the side of the mountain looking back.

Fun wooded area after the climb.
And the whole point of the ride - the view at the top of the Flatirons.
On the way back down. Wow it looks brown ... looking forward to when the green returns!
I hope that spring is indeed here to stay. It's entirely possible we'll have one more snow, but if by chance we don't, I certainly won't be upset!

No comments:

Post a Comment