Sunday, March 27, 2011

My first run at golf for the year

I went golfing Saturday for the first time this year. And I went with a group of people I'd never met before – the women of the Northern Colorado chapter of the Executive Women's Golf Association. A nice step outside my comfort zone, and I was rewarded with a good time.

If I choose to join, I'm hoping my involvement with a group will help me play more regularly and improve so that I can play a decent game of golf consistently – part of my 40 by 40 goals.


The event was a 9-hole scramble to "shake of the rust." This was my first time doing a golf scramble, and what a great format it is. It's not at all stressful. If you're not familiar, a golf scramble is when you are in teams of three or four, and everyone plays from the best hit. So everyone tees off, and whichever ball goes the farthest, that's where everyone hits from next. In other words, even if you're no good, you can play with a group of experienced golfers and not feel quite as bad if you top the ball frequently as I do!

That said, I did much better than I expected. In fact, our team even played my balls a few times.

On the first hole, a golf pro recorded our swings. After we finished, I sat down with her for my first-ever "swing analysis." Of course, the one shot she recorded was the one I messed up the worst… but her analysis was helpful and made me want to get some formal instruction for my self-taught game. The organization that held the event has a series of early-season golf lessons that I plan to take part in.

It is so nice to once again be able to be outside for the spring/summer sports season! Here's hoping this weather sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment