Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Homemade Chicken Fried Steak

My man had a craving for chicken fried steak. And while I generally avoid breaded things, chicken fried steak is really one of the best inventions ever.

It's one of the best comfort foods - the kind of food that you eat when you're bummed or after a great hike because you feel justified after burning 1,000 calories.

Thing is, there really is no good reason to make chicken fried steak. You can get pretty good chicken fried steak for not a whole lot of money at any good - or even decent - breakfast place. It's far more time-consuming and expensive to make it yourself.

Still, though it'd be easy enough to go buy chicken fried steak, I thought it'd be fun to make chicken fried steak. But I wasn't sure where to start.

A quick Google search turned up Alton Brown's chicken fried steak recipe.

I was introduced to Alton Brown while I was in the Peace Corps. My friend sent me videos of Alton Brown's show Good Eats on CD, and I watched them on my laptop.

I figured he'd have a good chicken fried steak recipe, and I was right.


It was surprisingly simple. I don't bread things often, so I guess I thought it was going to be more complicated. But really, it was just egg and flour. And beef bottom round.

While the chicken fried steak itself was good, it was the gravy that made it great. The addition of thyme to the gravy, made from scratch.

I got myself a nifty new toy to pound the beef to about 1/4 of an inch.

 

After dredging the beef in flour and egg, I let the meat sit for 20 minutes or so per the recipe's instructions. I then fried it, about 3-4 minutes on each side. I found though that it was a little overcooked, so I will probably do less next time per side.

 
After it was done, I placed it on a rack on the pan, and placed it in the oven, which was set to 200 degrees.
 

I made the gravy per the recipe, whisking in the thyme, chicken broth and whole milk.

When it was done, I drenched the meat in gravy and served it with a side of mashed potatoes and, what else? A fried egg.

I love breakfast for dinner.

 


Get the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment