Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pruning? Not Yet

I’ve been pondering whether I should be pruning my perennials this winter – I have a lot of brown, dead-looking plants in my yard.

But according to at least one expert, it’s not time yet. And this expert’s in Florida, which  you know, isn’t exactly known for its cold spells.

Whatever you do, “Don’t prune your plants, yet,” said Carol Lord, a horticulturist with Escambia’s Agriculture extension agency. “All that dead matter is insulation for the roots,” she said “Pruning will stimulate new growth and that will make the plants susceptible to future freezes.”

I have to assume that that advice applies here in colder climates as well.

Anyway, if you’re interested in learning more, read the article

Here’s a nice feature from Better Homes and Gardens on what to prune and when.

No comments:

Post a Comment