Monday, January 13, 2014

A Resolution a Week: Week 2 - Take 2 Days Off from TV a Week

Radionette TV set
Not my real TV
Life these days consists of going to work, coming home at roughly 6 p.m., making dinner and sitting in front of the TV and watching "our shows." After all, as my husband says, they don't watch themselves.

If I'm lucky, I get up off the couch and go running at the gym.

But given that it's winter, it's difficult to say the least to get the willpower to do so.

Alas, this post is not about where to get that willpower. But I'm hoping my second resolution in my Resolution a Week for 2014 plan will help.

It's really easy to get sucked into the TV habit to the point where you get to Friday night and wonder where the week went.

TV's not evil. But it's far to easy to watch shows you really don't want to watch. And if you weren't watching that TV, what would you do with your time?

Would I write more? Would I be more likely to work out? (I'm hoping so.) Would I have dinner with friends? Would I actually talk with my husband at dinner rather than stare at a box?

I'll leave it up to my husband whether he follows in my footsteps on this one.

I know, I know - only two days off? But hey, I'm a married woman with no kids. And I'm not taking full advantage of the free time I have. I have to start somewhere.

There was a time when I was working on my MBA, going to school two nights a week and working on homework and team projects the rest of the time. (Some of my colleagues had kids, as well, so I'm not complaining. But I was much busier than I am now.)

When I finished that degree, I was so bored. I had no idea what to do with my time. I decided to teach myself to cook and to blog. It worked. But now while I still cook, and I do garden after work in the summer, in the winter I'm pretty much doing not much of anything. It's really quite sad.

It's time to change that before I wake up one day and wonder why I spent most of my life in front of a  television set.

Update on Week 1's resolution: My second week is off to a good start with my first resolution of getting back to a three times a week running schedule; I ran on Sunday. Taking two nights off of TV should help facilitate the other two times.

No comments:

Post a Comment