Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Two Mexican Recipes I Loved: Enchiladas and Lasagna

It’s been a good week for food. That’s according to my husband, when I asked him which of two Mexican dishes he liked best out of the two I’ve made in the seven days: green chili enchiladas or Mexican lasagna.

Green Chili Chicken Enchilads


Green Chili Enchiladas
I adapted this chicken enchilada recipe, with good results.

In addition to about 1-1.5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast, the recipe calls for:
  • Sour cream – I used fat free sour cream, which cuts down on the fat and calories but not the taste.
  • Onion
  • Cheddar cheese - I used shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • Parsley
  • Oregano – I was out, but leaving it out of the recipe didn’t affect the taste.
  • Salt & pepper
  • 1 can tomato sauce – I added diced canned tomatoes with green chiles instead, and only about a little over half a 15 oz. can. My favorite is Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes, Fire Roasted with Green Chilies.
  • 1 TBSP chili powder – I did add some chili powder, but I used this taco seasoning mix as my main seasoning. I made it and store it for when I need it. I also used it in the next recipe, Mexican lasagna.
  • Green bell pepper
  • Clove of garlic – I used garlic powder.
  • Flour tortillas – I used both flour and corn tortillas. Flour for my husband; corn for me. The flour works much better, not surprisingly.
  • Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chilies
    My favorite - Muir Glen Organic Fire
    Roasted with green chilies. I add them
    to a lot of recipes.
  • Water – Please don’t include this. I followed the reviewers’ recommendations on this. There is really no reason to add more liquid to this filling.
I added a little jalapeno to the mix, as well. The above form the creamy filling for the enchiladas. After wrapping the filling with tortillas, I smothered them with cheese and green chili from Santiago’s, a chain here in Colorado famous for their chili. The recipe calls for smothering the enchiladas with taco sauce. Don’t do that. The chili was much a much better choice.

I got Santiago’s half and half chili, which turns out to be a mistake. Half and half is half spicy and half mild. It was way too spicy to just eat, but in moderation – just soaking the tortillas – it had a kick. Next time we'll go for mild.

Mexican Lasagna
I followed this Mexican lasagna recipe pretty closely. It was great. I wanted something to use up my corn tortillas (why do they come in such large numbers?) and the rest of the ingredients I had purchased for the enchiladas.
Mexican Lasagna

I added a pound of ground beef to the recipe, as well as both green and red peppers. I didn’t have Muenster cheese, so just used the leftover Mexican blend shredded cheese. It was fine. I layered the corn tortillas and mixture until I ran out.

I recommend this Mexican lasagna recipe! It was even better the second day. I would guess it would also freeze well. As would the enchiladas above if you were to make extra filling.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment