Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cinnamon and Venison Chili: Who Knew?


Served with a cornbread muffin, a little cheese
and a dollop of sour cream
My favorite chili recipe – particularly for venison but I’m sure it’d be great with beef, as well – is this one: Award Winning Chili Recipe

It's one of my favorite things to make in general, especially since we have several pounds of venison remaining in our freezer in the garage. I double the recipe, freeze a bunch and we eat the rest over separate days.

The past few times I've made the chili, I have added cinnamon, and I really think it makes the dish. Others may have known about this all along, but for me it's a new discovery. I love it!

I've made it many many times now, and while I follow the recipe pretty closely for the main ingredients, I make a few tweaks:

  • 1 lb. venison (or beef) - reduce gaminess of ground venison by making sure you drain the meat well after cooking it
  • 1 big onion
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1/2 jalapeno - I think it can stand more. I usually do 1 jalapeno for a double portion, but could easily add another 1/2, depending on taste or desire for hotness
  • 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
  • 1 can Rotel Mexican-style tomatoes
  • 1 can Muir Glen diced tomatoes, fire-roasted with green chiles
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • Up to a 1 can of corn, drained
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 TBSP cumin - or a little more. Cumin is important to the recipe.
  • 2 TBSP chili powder - or a little more.
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Garlic powder - I eyeball it. But I love garlic in my chili, and this recipe doesn't call for it otherwise.
  • 1/2 TBSP cinnamon - I also eyeball this.
  • Salt to taste
Chili, I've also learned should be tweaked to personal taste - this is just how I do chili, and I find it quite tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment