Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Personal Space: I'm learning it's not worth much in Krav Maga

As the instructor was going over our next move tonight at Krav Maga, I realized I just had to let go and welcome the strangers around me into my personal space.


The exercise tonight (as the aggressor) was to literally bear hug from behind my partner, with my forehead on his back, while he proceeded to shoot his elbows back at me (that's why my head was on his back or he would have certainly hit me with said elbows). Then my partner would turn around, elbow leading the way, grab my shoulder and back of my arm and (pretend to) knee me.

And no, I wasn't with my husband. Just a kid who seemed like he was probably in high school, which probably means he was in college. I'm at that age when I can't always tell. Anyway, he went all out, which is not to say I got hit, but it will take some getting used to to even pretend.

Last Thursday, I did a similar exercise, where we learned how to do a series of moves for self-defense and then put them all together. I was with a girl this time. Part of the series was to place your finger, perpendicular, under your partner's nose. There is - as I got to experience for myself - a pressure point there if you push hard enough on the bridge closest to where the nose meets your face (best way I know how to explain it). It definitely works.

While putting my finger under a stranger's nose was a little uncomfortable at first, it is surprisingly getting easier to get into the exercises each time they set a new one in front of us.

The point of taking Krav Maga is learning these moves so I can protect myself. So I should be thankful that they let us practice the moves on people, or really none of this will ever become second nature.

That means that at least on Tuesday and Thursday nights, goodbye personal space!

No comments:

Post a Comment