Sunday, April 26, 2015

Jumpstarting My Garden: On Seed-Starting Inside

seed-starting insideLast year was my first year trying seed-starting inside. While it was not a slam dunk, I found that for some of my veggies, it resulted in stronger, higher-yielding plants. It's also more cost-effective than buying veggie starts.

This year, I've started multiple varieties of lettuce, jalapeno and Serrano peppers, tomatoes (primarily San Marzano), kale, and herbs including cilantro, parsley and basil.

The one mistake I made last year was not getting a light to support growth. I instead set my seedlings next to a window. It was not enough. My lettuce in particular last year was leggy and did not survive. This year I bought an actual grow light - Jumpstart T5 High Output Grow Light. It was less than $100, purchased at my local gardening supply store. It comes with a stand, and a basic fluorescent light. It'd be easy enough to get a shop light and fashion your own setup for less.

Jumpstart T5 High Output Grow Light
Jumpstart T5 High Output Grow Light


Tomato seedlings reaching for the light.
Tomato seedlings reaching for the light.

My herbs under the light. Also, peppers on the left.

I used a seed-starting mix from the Flower Bin, my local garden supply store. I recommend using a mix that is created specifically for jumpstarting seeds. It made a huge difference for me last year.


In addition to Cowpots, this year I'm also trying out these paperboard seed-starting containers from Botanical Interests. When the seedlings are ready to transplant and the weather is ready, I can simply place these in the ground and the containers will decompose into the soil. No waste and little disruption.

Botanical Interests paperboard seed starting containers

I'm also using the APS system - less eco-friendly, but reusable year to year. The system, which comes in multiple sizes, includes a planting tray, reservoir, capillary mat (ie, it's self-watering) and a greenhouse cover. I use this for lettuce, kale, herbs and my peppers. The bigger seedlings - primarily tomatoes - are used in the paperboard pots.

gardeners supply APS

I've already transplanted my first batch of lettuce into the garden, as well as some kale. Lettuce and kale both love cooler temps and will typically survive spring snow.

Lettuce starts, ready to transplant.
Happy planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment